Friday 12 April 2013

A Weathered Storm?

Week 23: FC Zbrojovka 2 - 0 SK Sigma Olomouc


For the second week in a row, there's a local derby. The previous week, Brno went westwards to face Jihlava. Despite comfortably winning the home fixture, Zbrojovka lost 2-0 playing against 10 men for more than 80 minutes. Somehow, Martin Dolezal, who handed Slavia a cheap victory, was back in the squad and responsible for the first goal.

Stop! Huddletime
All things change. Dolezal started this game again, however there is a new manager at the helm. Perhaps overdue, given Brno had only taken 4 points from the last possible 33. I'm also thrilled to report there was a lot better atmosphere outside the ground this week; thuggery was thankfully absent, and a very kind girl gave me a free ticket while I was buying mine. I'd actually just bought the ticket; paid for and had been printed, but the cashier kindly gave me a full refund. Maybe she was scared of scathing internet blog comments about her?
(I wouldn't; but it's certainly worth including how decent the whole situation was).


Today we face SK Sigma Olomouc. They would be my (distant) second team in the Czech league. Recently, they've had a sluggish return following the winter break, and have lost their last two game (0-3 at home to Sparta; 1-0 away to Liberec). It's unlikely they'll recover to re-enter the title race, but should at least aim for third and European qualification.

For Zbrojovka and the new manager Grmela, a derby match at home to a (relatively) out-of-form rival is quite a generous opportunity. The game is there to be won. And win they did. Very, very comfortably.

I wrote last time that Zbrojovka held the ball for long periods again FC Hradec Kralove, but lacked urgency and failed to create chances. Not the case in this game. There was a more directly approach and less emphasis on possession. Sigma, it should be said, were uninspired and were not helped by their half-time substitution being red carded midway through the second half. Zbrojovka capitalised, and our second half substitute scored a well taken goal a minute or so within entering the pitch.

Oh, and the weather was much better. Quite perplexed why only 3100 people turned up tonight, but the regulars that stayed away missed some good football.

5 comments:

  1. Hello, great blog, congrats. Should you take more photos of the Srbska Stadium (gates, turnstiles...)? and match tickets or season ticket, thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Antonio, thanks for reading!

      I don't have a season ticket, but I have saved every match ticket from this season. I will upload them shortly.

      Any particular requests for the stadium? I will be there on Sunday again!

      Delete
  2. Hello, BrnoBhoy, I want pics of the gates,turnstiles, bars, restrooms. Excuse me my english is poor. I come from Madrid, Spain. Do you like Leeds United FC?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! Very, very cheap tickets, from 70 kc to 130 kc. The last match Real Madrid - Dortmund. From 70 euros to 325 euros and from 800 euros to 1,200 euros for VIP tickets

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very expensive! I will try to take as many pictures as I can this weekend, however the facilities are generally quite basic.

    I usually pay 90Kc (£3; 3.60 EUR) to sit in an uncovered section of the stadium. Sparta Prague charge 200Kc (8 EUR) for a game. Internationals and UEFA Champions League games are about a 1000, but Zbrojovka haven't managed that yet :)

    I follow Leeds United in English football, but Celtic are my team first and foremost :)

    ReplyDelete