Sunday 19 August 2012

Onwards, Zbrojovkans

Week 4: FC Zbrojovka 1 - 4 Jablonec

Football. The smell of grass. Screeching turnstiles. The hussle and bussle of the crowd. Anticipation.

One cup for beer, one cup... just in case.
Now back in the swings of things. Fourth game of the season and Brno are perched a comfortable third in the season following an impressive 3-2 away at Plzen - which is comparable to someone like Stoke winning at the Emirates. Jablonec, however, currently sit top of the table. A mammoth clash; scenes not seen in this town since Oliver Stone's Alexander was shown in the cinema. And, as with the movie, there was more than one bad performance here today.

At this level, and given my short attention span, I find it hard to pick out a stand-out player week in, week out. There's always the player that stands out due to their boot colour, their physique, their mullet. Yes, they draw attention to themselves. If one is just not a good player, leave the white boots at home. See Konchesky, Paul as a recent example.The only standout performance I've seen in this part of the world was by Aldo Baez, a diminutive Argentine playing  for AS Trencin in the Slovak Corgon Liga. He was dark-skinned, five foot seven and wore Tim Henman boots. Damn good player, though.

My camera lasted one picture. Didn't quite have time to capture anything else.
At this level, and given my short attention span, I find it hard to pick out a stand-out player week in, week out. There's always the player that stands out due to their boot colour, their physique, their mullet. Yes, they draw attention to themselves. If one is just not a good player, leave the white boots at home. See Konchesky, Paul as a recent example.The only standout performance I've seen in this part of the world was by Aldo Baez, a diminutive Argentine playing  for AS Trencin in the Slovak Corgon Liga. He was dark-skinned, five foot seven and wore Tim Henman boots. Damn good player, though.

Today, though, one of my buddies is picking up on the abject woefulness of the Zbrojovka left-back. Thoroughly rotten. I hadn't noticed. I think it is David Pasek; I'm pretty sure it's the number three but I'm not too focused. I'll make a note for next time. I think the whole team has been shocking. It went from beating Plzen away, to this. This is a humbling. I don't think Jablonec were particularly remarkable, but Zbrojovka lacked everything today. On the positive side, 6200 fans turned up today and the matchday staff coped much, much better. Minimal queues, plenty of staff. On the downside, a lot of those fans won't come back following the on-pitch efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment